Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Why" Questions That Reveal Christ's Plan for My Day

Why do we work where we work?
Why do we live where we live?
Why do we shop where we shop?
Why do we play where we play?
Why do we suffer what we suffer?

It is no accident that we work where we work. It is no accident that we live in the place or community that we live. There is a reason and purpose why we shop where we shop -- beyond the fact that it has the best deals, or we like the styles at that location better. Where we play just might have a Divine reason. And the things that we suffer can be more than just random acts of distress, discomfort or disaster.

All these questions are answered in a much different way when we put them in the context of our calling in Christ.


Jesus calls us to come to Him. To accept Him and be with Him. But not only does He call us "to" Him, Jesus also calls us to be "sent" for Him. After coming to Him and receiving the great gift of His salvation and abiding presence, His power and His strenth, then Jesus calls us to be sent by Him out into our world, the world around us, to be a light for Jesus that others can see and become drawn to the Christ dwelling in us.

The reason you work where you work, is that Jesus wants to speak through you to those you work alongside of. You may be the only person to share with them, and Christ has placed you in your work place for that very reason.
The reaon you live where you live, is because you are the person or family that Christ has placed right in that neighborhood to represent Him.
Where you shop is a place where you can have an influence and witness for Jesus. Your fairness, integrity, kindness, and interest in the clerks and store owners can be more signficant than you may realize.
At places of recreation, such as where your children play, or the sports you are involved in, the gym where you work out, the park you go to, give points of intersection in the life of others, points that Jesus has planned so that you will have the opportunity to connect on His behalf.
And in a time or place of suffering, others will see how you handle it, and learn that there is a support level in your life that is not totally determined by your present experience of suffering, but is determined by your connection with Christ.

Why do you suffer the things you suffer?

Last week, I was driving with Will Peterson in my car, on our way to the Alleghany East Conference office which is near Pottstown, when we were "rear-ended" on US 422. I pulled over to the side of the highway and exchanged information with the driver who hit my car. Neither Will or I were hurt or have suffered any injury afterward, but my rear bumber got scratched and nicked, with some pulling away from the clasps that hold it in place.


When I called my State Farm agent later to report the accident, she told me if I wanted to file a claim with State Farm, I had a $500 deductible I would need to pay, but if I would have the other driver's insurance handle it, there should not be a deductible I would have to pay.

So I called the Erie agent and started the process.

There was a collision repair shop I prefered, but in talking to the Erie agent, I was informed that Erie had an "authorized" shop they could deal directly with. Since I knew the shop Erie dealt with did good work, I was willing to go there for the estimate.

Wednesday, when I drove into the parking lot, I recognized one of the body shop repairmen. Previously he had worked in the collision repair body shop for one of the major car dealers that is no longer in business. I didn't know he was working now at this shop. The last I knew, he had been working for a tow truck company.

So while I was waiting for my repair estimate to be written up, I got to visit with him, as he had just finished his time for the day. He had gone through a divorce just a few years ago, received custody of his daughters and his former wife had moved to a state down south. For the last 2-3 years he has not been attending church. Yet as we talked, he shared that he was getting re-married, and he was feeling the conviction to return to church.

Why do we suffer what we suffer? It is no accident, sometimes why we suffer what we suffer.

So we visited in the door of the body shop for 30 minutes or more. I had the chance to invite him and his young adult daughter to Grace Outlet for a church home. His finacee has not really been attending any church, and I had the chance to suggest that Grace Outlet would be the kind of atmosphere where someone who is not used to a church setting, would not feel "closed in" or that they would have to know some certain sequence or religious code. I also invited him to our Wednesday night Men's Group in our neighborhood.

That seemed to be a positive possibility in his mind and he appreciated the invitation.

Why do we suffer what we suffer?

Of all the cars along 422 hurtling down the road, several nearly collided with others, nearly ran others off the road, nearly rear-ended other cars. We had been driving fairly alert and safe, even to the point of slowing down well before the traffice stoppage. But my car was the one rear-ended.

I could have seen this as an aggravation which I didn't need. Delayed from our appointment. Then having to stand by the side of the highway and nearly struck as we exchanged information. Taking extra time to go to the body shop for the estimate, and in a couple of weeks, having the car in the shop for 3 days or more.

What an inconvenience!! Or...was it part of a Divine plan for the mission of Christ?

Of all the cars on the highway Tuesday afternoon, I think I was the only one hit in the rear end. That put me at the body shop, just at the right time on Wednesday afternoon, late in the afternoon, to "happen to bump into" someone who has been away from church, been through a breakdown of their marriage, and who is currently feeling convicted that Christ is calling them back to church. Maybe, just maybe, my little accident was intended to place me at a Divine Appointment -- to be on a mission for Christ.

You are I are called by Christ and sent by Christ. Are you available for mission 24/7? Each day, the events of our day can be part of Christ's mission through us to reach others for Him.

No comments: